Sunday, August 14, 2011

Caramel Popcorn

My uncle in New Jersey sent a Balikbayan Box loaded with candies, snacks and chips. One such item that made its way to us was a box of popcorn.

On Friday, my sister sent me a text message saying she was lent a DVD of the movie Serendipity. So, it was movie night and it was time to bring out the popcorn.

We've eaten an insane amount of popcorn by that time and I was ready to shake things up. So, I decided to make Caramel Popcorn.

This was the first time I was making these and I was surprised at how easy they were. Most of the recipes I found required corn syrup but I didn't have any, so I left it out. If you ask me, the popcorn was fine without it.

I have included pictures with the instructions. Please note that I used dark brown sugar for this recipe, hence the dark color of the syrup. The color of the sugar you use will most likely be the color of your syrup, unless you burned it horribly. In that case, you should start over.

You'll need:
2 bags of popped popcorn
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Use plain popcorn.
POPpedCORN

Melt butter and sugar over medium heat. Add the water and salt. Stir occasionally until bubbly. Cook for 5 minutes more.

Spread popcorn on ungreased pans. Heat oven to 200° F.

Remove sugar mixture from heat. Stir in baking soda.

Pour mixture over popcorn, coating them well. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment