Sunday, August 07, 2011

Celebrations by Sharon - Party Cupcake Mix

There is no shame in using a baking mix especially if one cannot think of a recipe off the top of her head is pressed for time.
 
I was doing the groceries this afternoon and remembered 2 friends were stopping by. They were celebrating their birthdays and I wanted to bake them something for the occasion. I was browsing the grocery's baking aisle and figured I would use a baking mix. There were many choices, from the internationally renowned Betty Crocker to Magic Time and even the local Maya line. But I chose to go with the "Celebrations by Sharon" mixes. I was drawn to the boxes (I'm weird that way...)

Talk about visual appeal!

Another thing that caught my attention was the claim that it was stove, oven and oven toaster tested. I haven't tested out 2 of the claims (Though I probably should. Okay, now it's on my to-do list...) as I was just going to use my trusty oven.
 
The box doesn't explicitly say how many (3-ounce) cupcakes it yields, but the number of servings on the food label says 5. However, I did not want to make just 5. It would be a complete waste of gas a 12 cup muffin pan. So, I decided to use a graham cracker crust as an extender to make 12. Ambitious much?

Graham Cracker crust 
The result was a hit. The graham crust was a nice contrast to the moist cupcakes. The cupcake itself was light and delicious. If I ever make cupcakes for my sole consumption, I would definitely use this again. But if you are cooking more than a dozen cupcakes, I recommend you find a recipe before going off to do the groceries.

The batter

The cupcakes
Happy birthday to Mharnie and Carl!

You can find "Celebrations by Sharon" at leading supermarkets. It retails for P 44.50 as of writing.

I have not received any payment or compensation for this review. I paid for the full retail price of this cupcake mix. Actually my dad did, as he paid for all the groceries. I only did the physical shopping part. This is based on my own experience and this post is an expression of my unbiased opinion. Yes, we are all entitled to our own. 

4 comments:

  1. hello Ms. Princess super thanks for your efforts, super duper sarap ng Sharon Cup Cakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you said, there is nothing wrong with using a mix. I, who have failed to make many a cakes, will stand by and support you fully in that notion.

    It sounds like you had a successful go at it. Good thing you remembered your friends were stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i tried this mix and it was delicious! and i am like 10 years old and i'm not really sure what frosting to use and i tried the betty crocker frostings(chocolate and vanilla) and my mom said that it was too sweetso im asking what frosting to put. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a chocolate frosting, you can try semi-sweet chocolate chips melted in a little sweetened condensed milk. That way, you can adjust the sweetness according to your taste. Plus it's very simple, too! I'll let you know what other simple frostings I come up with. :)

      Delete